Our friends at The Little Foxes have published this great Minted Moroccan Meatballs with Aromatic Barley recipe- may we recommend our Edward & Sons Veggie Bouillon Cubes?
Minted Moroccan Meatballs with Aromatic Barley
Yields: 28 meatballs, 15 servings of barley
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes (depending upon whether you use quick-cook or traditional barley)
For the Minted Moroccan Meatballs -
- 12 Baby Bella Mushrooms (aka: Cremini), rinsed
- 1 cube of vegan bouillon (try Edward & Sons Veggie Bouillon Cubes)
- 1/2 can of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup bulgur wheat, ground in to a medium meal
- 2/3 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, ground in to a coarse meal (I still like lots of in-tact pine nuts peeking out)
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chiffonade
- 3 tbsp fresh mint, chiffonade
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper, coarsely ground
For the Aromatic Barley -
- 8.8 oz barley (I used the entire package of Trader Joe’s 10 Minute Quick Cook Barley, cooked to package instructions)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for sauteeing
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chiffonade
- dash of cinnamon, to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees and prepare two baking sheets with parchment or silpat.
- In a high-speed blender, combine mushrooms, veggie bouillon cube, chickpeas, Sriracha, and water. Blend until smooth. This should yield about 2 cups of liquid. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the bulgur, vital wheat gluten, pine nut meal, flaxseed meal, parsley, mint, and finely diced onions.
- Slowly add remaining meatball ingredients (including spices and lemon juice) and gradually add the 2 cups of mushroom liquid until a sticky dough-like consistency is achieved.
- Work the ‘dough’ by-hand or with a spatula to further activate the vital wheat gluten (you should see strands forming) and to ensure all ingredients are evenly assimilated.
- Form the dough in to 1/2 inch balls (or larger, if you like) and place evenly on prepared baking sheets. You may drizzle or spray the meatballs with a little olive oil to encourage more browning during cooking, if you like.
- Crank the oven up to 425F and bake for 30 minutes.
- While those are baking, cook your barley according to package instructions.
- In a separate skillet, sautee your olive oil, garlic, and onions on high until caramelized (about 5 – 7 minutes depending upon your stove’s heat).
- Once caramelized, add pine nuts and stir consistently to allow for browning and toasting (not burning).
- Once toasted, remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Drain and rinse cooked barley with cold water. Ensure all of the liquid is drained from the barley and put in a large bowl.
- Add your skillet mixture, lemon juice, fresh parsley, cinnamon, and anything else you’d like to your barley. This could be made EXTRA amazing if you could get your hands on some Zatar, Sumac, or you added dried currants or soaked golden raisins. What what!
- Once cooked, remove your meatballs from the oven. They should be firm, browned, and crispy on the outside. For a softer meatball, you can rinse these quickly (like one second) under the tap to lend extra softness (this won’t affect the taste at all).
Click here for printer friendly version
Find Great Natural Bouillon Cubes Recipes Here.
Purchase Edward & Sons Natural Bouillon Cubes singles at Edward & Sons store.
Purchase Edward & Sons Natural Bouillon Cubes 12 Packs at Amazon.com.
Click Here to find a store near you.
Republished by EdwardandSons.com