Vegan Miam has published this great Mediterranean Harissa Stew with Purple Sweet Potato recipe using our Edward & Sons Natural Bouillon Cubes:
Mediterranean Harissa Stew with Purple Sweet Potato
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1½ tablespoons harissa*
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound (or 450g) large purple sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- ¼ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, fire roasted
- 4 cups vegan not-chick’n broth (Edward & Sons)
- 3 to 4 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups cooked Israeli cous cous, farro, orzo or freekeh
- Handful of Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Finely grated lemon zest
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a wide, heavy skillet or Dutch oven (5½ quart) over medium heat. Melt the coconut oil in the pot. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in ground cumin, ground coriander, curry powder, cinnamon stick, harissa and tomato paste and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the carrots, purple sweet potatoes, salt, black pepper, crushed tomatoes. Cook, stirring, for about a minute, until fragrant, and add the broth and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, and simmer until the sweet potatoes and carrots have cooked down slightly, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, simmer uncovered, for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the Israeli cous cous or grains, grate lemon rind; chop parsley.
- Add the saffron threads and chickpeas to the pot. Reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Simmer 10 minutes. Add the yellow bell pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick before serving and add cous cous or your favorite grain. Ladle into bowls and top with chopped parsley (if desired), grated lemon zest and a drizzle of olive oil.
- The stew is moderately spicy. For very spicy, use 2 to 2½ tablespoons harissa. For mildly spicy, use 1 tablespoon harissa.
- Purple Sweet Potato alternative: Any potatoes, squash, pumpkin, turnips, or cauliflower
- Don’t like chickpeas? Use canned Cannellini, Great Northern and Navy beans if you like, but add them at the same time as the sweet potatoes & carrots and the beans will absorb the flavors of spices while cooking.
Click here for printer friendly version
Find Great Natural Bouillon Cubes Recipes Here.
Purchase Edward & Sons™ Natural Bouillon Cubes singles at Edward & Sons store.
Purchase Edward & Sons™ Natural Bouillon Cubes 12 Packs at Amazon.com.
Click Here to find a store near you.
Republished by EdwardandSons.com