Vegan Mother Hubbard has published this great Wild Mushroom Risotto recipe- may we recommend our Edward & Sons Veggie Bouillon Cubes?
Wild Mushroom Risotto
- 2 ounces dried, wild mushrooms (I used a mix of cloud ear, oyster, woodear, and shiitake)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 tbsp olive oil or non-dairy butter, divided
- 1 pound cremini or white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 tbsp white mustard seeds
- 2 cups chopped kale (remove and discard stems, before chopping)
- 2 tbsp minced, fresh dill
- liquid from reconstituting mushrooms
- 5 cups vegetable stock or broth (may we recommend our Edward & Sons Veggie Bouillon Cubes?)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp grated or finely minced garlic
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Rinse the dried mushrooms, then place them in a medium sized, heat-safe mixing bowl. Pour the boiling water over the mushrooms, and set aside to steep for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the soaking water. Reserve the liquid. Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- To make the broth, start by measuring the reserved liquid from soaking the mushrooms. Add additional water, so you have a total of 4 cups.
- Stir the mushroom liquid/water, the broth, and remaining stock ingredients together in a pot. Simmer over low heat.
- Place a separate, 6 quart pot over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil or butter, and the sliced mushrooms.
- Saute until the mushrooms, release their liquid and begin to brown. Transfer the mushrooms to a separate dish.
- Add the remaining oil or butter, brown rice, white rice, and mustard seeds to the pot. Toss the ingredients together and saute for about a minute, or until the rice is hot.
- Begin adding the hot broth to the rice, one cup at a time. Stir often. When the broth is absorbed into the rice, add the next cup. Repeat this process, until you have about 1 cup of broth left.
- When adding the final portion of broth, stir in the kale, dill, and all the mushrooms. Continue to cook, until the last of the broth is cooked into the rice, and you have creamy, tender rice.
Click here for printer friendly version
Find Great Natural Bouillon Cubes Recipes Here.
Purchase Edward & Sons Natural Bouillon Cubes singles at Edward & Sons store.
Purchase Edward & Sons Natural Bouillon Cubes 12 Packs at Amazon.com.
Click Here to find a store near you.
Republished by EdwardandSons.com